Introduction to Jabalpur

Jabalpur is the district headquarter and accounts for almost 44% of the total district population. It is also the divisional headquarter of Jabalpur division which includes the districts of Jabalpur, Katni, Mandla, Narsimhapur, Chhinwara, Seoni and Balaghat. It has good linkages through rail and road and has grown to become a trading and industrial economy when production in the defence establishments located here were at its peak.

A case study for
Ward No’ 31
Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh

For carrying out the onground activities under the project, a pilot area was selected in Jabalpur in consultation with the Jabalpur Municipal Corporation with an aim to carry out a detailed study and interventions at a small scale and if found appropriate, the same may be replicated by the Municipal Corporation in other parts of the city. Ward No. 31 was selected as a pilot area in Jabalpur.

Location of study area
Jabalpur City Map

Glimpses from Sewerage sector - Jabalpur


What is
happening in
the city?

Through engagement
with the Government

This phase starts by data collection from the Municipal Corporation and other para-statal bodies to understand the City Baseline for rapid assessment. It focusses on understanding perception of the government officials from various departments involved in the sector; and captures the views of political representatives about the existing condition and proposed requirements of the city with respect to the chosen problem area.

Interactions with members of the core committee, Municipal & parastatal officials, political representatives- Honourable Mayor, Councillor of the study area are also the major component of this phase.


This section includes an overview of the information of city including its geographical area, population, socio economic features, basic landuse profile and institutional arrangement of the agencies involved in infrastructural development for the city. This information will help in understanding the city baseline.


It discusses the existing condition of the identified sector in the city in terms of infrastructure availability, on going schemes, usage of smart applications, etc. This information will help in making a rapid assessment of the sector for the city.


It discusses the level of service in the city to understand infrastructure gaps.


This section identifies the existing conditions and vision of the city under various probable aspects. These results would be integrated with the results of stakeholder analysis before arriving at recommendations.

S.No Category Priority
Existing scenario of the city Where the city wants to be in next 5 years Initiatives that will move the city in line with its vision
1 Coverage of storm water drainage 4 Only few areas of the city are covered with storm water drains. All the existing drains are open and pucca City has good storm water management system and all drains are pucca and closed. City doesn't experiences flooding of drains. Master Plan for storm water drainage has been prepared under JNNURM. But only 70% work has been implemented till date. In line with a vision of 100% coverage, city would initiate the remaining work under upcoming funding schemes.
2 Households with rain water Harvesting facility 5 The city promotes rainwater harvesting through building permissible drawings, but its enforcement is poor. Rainwater harvesting systems are still not installed in any of the households and therefore recycling of rainwater doesn't exist. All new buildings have installed rainwater harvesting system and do 100% utilisation of rainwater for secondary uses. Jabalpur Municipal Corporation plans to shift to compulsorily implementation of rainwater harvesting system for all approved buildings.
3 Extent of reuse & recycle of waste water 3 The city lacks sewerage system. All the sewage without any primary treatment is disposed into open water bodies and thus pollutes the environment. The city has zero waste water because all the waste water is collected, treated and recycled. It meets standards and reduces the need for fresh water. Full-fledged project for about 80% of Population has been sanctioned under AMRUT . This project is proposed for laying of 195 km of sewerage network, 1,46,00 property connection and 5 new STPs.
4 Coverage of toilets 7 Sanitation Facilities are available to 100% of the city's population Sanitation Facilities are available to 100% of the city's population Jabalpur city is a certified ODF city as per 2018
5 Coverage of sewerage network 1 Some part of the city is covered with sewerage network, but connections have been done only to grey water. The complete city is covered with sewerage network with grey and black water both. For connection to black water, the city is planning to run citywide campaign and awareness programmes to aware public about decommissioning of septic tank for black water connection to sewer line.
6 Collection efficiency of sewerage network 2 Less than 50% of the sewage generated in the city is collected 70% of the sewage generated in the city is getting collected Complete the sewer network
7 User Charges 6 City has a plan to collect sewer charges from all households getting benefits of sewerage system but is not able to implement it due to resistance from citizens The city collects sewer charges from all households having sewer line connection. Provide sewer connection Complete sewer network Create awareness among people Develop strategies for charging user charges

What are the
aspirations of
the city?

Through engagement
with citizens

This phase initiates discussion about the perception of citizens. The respondents consulted here should include wide range of stakeholders to ensure inclusivity. The results from this section would help the Municipal bodies to identify the importance of various services to the people and also strategize their work.

Interactions with the residents of study area which include households having sewerage network, households not having sewerage network, households in slum areas, shopkeepers in ward 31 were held.



Covered area


Basti area


Commercial area


Un Covered area


Categorization of stakeholders with sample size taken from each categorization.

List of sample colonies in ward

Sl. No. Colony Name Execution status of sewer work
1 Shanti Nagar
  • Most of the area have been covered with house connection (but only to grey water)
  • Few left uncovered ( Lying of Sewer line – work ongoing)
2 Ambedkar Colony
  • Uncovered (No Sewer line)
3 Shastri Vihar
  • Uncovered (Lying of sewer line-work ongoing)
4 Trimurti Nagar Uncovered (Lying of sewer line- work ongoing)
5 Krishna Colony Uncovered (No sewer line)
6 Samta Colony (Basti Area) Uncovered (No sewer line)
7 Kavita Agarbatti (Basti Area) Uncovered (No sewer line)
8 Nagar (Commercial Area) Uncovered (No sewer line)


Analysis of the Primary survey highlighting general perceptions of the citizens and the issues associated with the sector are discussed in this section.

Insights about
Covered areas


Lack of awareness among the people on the benefits of connecting their properties to sewer is leading to wastage of resources.


Lack of sensitization amongst the end users- even after completion of property connection, the area is being used for dumping solid waste which is still causing environmental pollution in the covered areas.


Benefits to the residents may be initiated to get consensus from the residents for adopting sewerage facility.


Sewer lines

  • Though the area has been connected to the centralised sewer system, but still 99% of the respondents do not have their property connected to the sewer line.
  • It is observed that most of the residents (61%) are unaware about connecting their property with the sewer line. Only 16% of the residents are ready to take connection within next three months.

Septic tank

  • As per the survey about 83% of the residents have individual septic tanks, while the remaining 17% use shared septic tanks.
  • All the households have septic tanks, only 19% of the households are not discharging their waste into the open drains, while the remaining 81% dispose their waste water into the open drains.
  • As per the survey, 46% of the residents have shown interest in getting the sewerage connection, while remaining 54% have not shown interest due to physical constraints
  • As per the survey, it is observed that 60% of the respondents feel that connection to black water will involve new installation of system and will affect their existing construction.
  • 89% of the respondents are of the view that they will take sewer connection before the next cleaning of their septic tank.
  • 29% of the respondents feel that the life expectancy of their septic tank is 20-25 years and 25% feel it is between 5-10 years.
  • 63% of the respondents are now satisfied regarding the cleanliness of drains, as compared to the earlier situation. Still there are cases where solid waste is dumped on the newly completed conservancies.
  • A significant percentage of respondents (67%) are not aware about payment of user charges.
  • Almost about half of the respondents (49%) are not at all willing to pay user charges for sewerage facility
  • As per the survey, about 49% of the respondents face health and environmental issues
  • Almost 100% of the respondents face problem even now due to foul smell, and have majorly been infected due to malaria.

Insights about
Basti Area


Absence of Sewerage System


Negligence in cleaning of drains


Blocked drains


Drain cleaning majorly done with initiative of residents


Prevalent health issues along with foul smell, breeding of insects etc


Generally the residents in the area belong LIG/ EWS section so it becomes difficult for them to sustain while spending a significant amount on health issues


Water logging issues observed during monsoons


Ownership of toilet

100% of the Basti area residents have access to toilets which include private toilets, shared toilets as well.

About 90% of the respondents feel that all the toilets are connected with septic tanks.

There is limited flow of waste water from toilets, as 35% of households don’t have water available within the toilet.


User Charges

About 52% residents of the basti area are willing to pay user charges for sewerage facility.


Health Impact

About 82% respondents feel that lack of sewerage system has adversely impacted their heatlh.

About 27% of the residents spend close to Rs. 250 per month on their medical expenses and 50% of the residents are not sure about their monthly expenditure on health.

100% of the Basti area has road side drains, out of which 90% drains are open.

As per the survey, 95% of the residents discharge their waste water into the drains- open/ closed.

62% of the residents feel that the drains are cleaned once a month, while 35% feel that the drains are cleaned after 6 months.

As per the survey, only 15% of the basti residents feel that the drains are cleaned by the Municipal Corporation, while the remaining feel that the drains are cleaned by the initiative of residents with the involvement of private workers.

65% of the basti residents face the problem of water logging outside their houses specially during monsoons.

About 40% face problems due to mosquito breeding and the remaining face issues due to foul smell.

Insights about
Un-Covered areas


Absence of Sewerage System


Negligence in cleaning of drains


Blocked drains


Drain cleaning majorly done with initiative of residents


Prevalent health issues along with foul smell, breeding of insects etc


Generally the residents in the area belong LIG/ EWS section so it becomes difficult for them to sustain while spending a significant amount on health issues

  • A significant percentage i.e. 61% respondents were of the view that drain cleaning happens once a month while 34% were of the view that it happens quarterly indicating health hazards and chances of nuisance caused in the vicinity.
  • Only 38% responded that the drain cleaning is done by Municipal Corporation, the remaining 62% mentioned that drain cleaning in their area is done by them involving sweepers at their own cost.
  • 61% of the respondents face weekly blockage of drains, while 27% of the respondents feel blockage of drains is once a month.
  • Only 14% of the respondents feel that the drains are inspected by Municipal staff on monthly basis, while 38% respondents feel that the drains are inspected quarterly and 19% also feel that the drains are inspected only once a year by the municipal staff.
  • 100% of the households have access to toilets and have septic tanks
  • 57% of residents have no idea about the expenses spent on maintenance of septic tank, while 32% of residents spend less than Rs.500.
  • Municipal Corporation is involved most of the time for cleaning of septic tank (63%).
  • About 72% of residents are of the view that cleaning of septic tank in required every 5-10 years, while 20% feel that the septic tank requires cleaning after 3-5 years.
  • 100% of the residents have responded that they rarely face any problem associated with septic tanks
  • 100% of residents in uncovered area are aware about centralised sewer facility.
  • 99% of residents are willing to get connection but majority of residents(43%) are not willing to pay for sewer facility because they feel they are already levied with lots of other taxes which include water tax, cleanliness tax etc.
  • As per the survey, residents in this area are affected by insects and foul smell- About 52% have faced issues due to foul smell and 48% face problems due to insects. None of the residents face water contamination issues in the area.
  • 62% residents don’t have idea upon the expenditure on their Medical Health, while 18% have responded that they spend Rs. 500 monthly on medical expenses

Insights about
Commercial areas

Access to toilets

Most of the establishments in commercial areas are non polluting type, ex- stationary shop, electrical, grocery etc.

As per the survey, 75% of the shopkeepers depend upon the public toilets, while 20% have their own arrangements within the shop and 5% also use open areas

Waste water in drains

100% waste water is disposed into the drains, as this area has not been connected to the network yet.

Waste water generating from commercial areas not carrying much waste and is managed through road side drains.

Water Usage

Average daily usage of water of 50% of establishments in commercial area is less than 50 litres, while 25% consume between 50- 100 litres and the major source of water for all shops is MC

User Charges

People are hesitant towards payment of user charges for sewerage facility


What are the
for the city?

The section below describes the recommendations w.r.t Sewerage sector based upon the analysis done in Phase I and Phase 2
  • Integrated urban water management approach should be adopted by Jabalpur Municipal Corporation
  • Inclusive participatory planning involving all the stakeholders is needed to break silos between different sectors and activities to reach a common understanding and vision for addressing the challenges and activities
  • Consider waste water as a resource to be used productively
  • Adoption of optimum infrastructure designs
Download Complete Report


Solid Waste Management
View case study


View case study

Madhya Pradesh

View case study


Open Spaces
View case study


toolkit for
your city

Get PROMISE Tool- Sewerage Sector Get PROMISE Tool Jabalpur

Submit your city data & get listed.

Note:- mail to