The PROMISE project was implemented by ICLEI South Asia in association with Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI). The project was supported and funded by European Union in four project cities. It aimed to improve the capacity of Urban Local Governments to perform as development actors for improving quality of life in an inclusive manner in their respective cities. The project supported local authorities/governments to create, enable and institutionalize equitable and inclusive governance mechanisms, with an aim to support development of smart and sustainable growth in cities. The activities undertaken in the project also helped to enhance last mile connectivity and cater to the needs of all the citizens irrespective of their religion, age and income group hence promoting inclusive development. Through the project, efforts were done to assist and build the capacities of the local government to better leverage the opportunities available under national programs such as Smart City Mission, AMRUT, HRIDAY, Housing for all and Swachh Bharat Mission through well-defined criteria for project evaluation and implementation. The opportunities from the above were leveraged through convergence, developing synergies in order to have better services and facilities resulting in improved quality of life. The project was initiated in early 2016 and completed in June 2019.
officers & City Staff
PROMISE Tool- prioritization of infrastructure
Increased Capacity & Awareness of staff, elected representatives & local community
Leverage the existing opportunities under the National Missions
Increased transparency & accountability of local authorities to mobilize resources in a diverse, strategic and efficient manner
Sustainable Development through social, economic and environmental dimensions
Improved access to urban services for sections of society with a focus on females, EWS, children, senior citizens, people with special needs
Community driven projects identified from local needs & priorities
- Improve LA’s capacity to improve quality of life in an inclusive manner.
- Build managerial and technical capacity of local governments in the project cities and assist the project cities in identifying their strengths and weaknesses in the chosen sector.
- Promote citizen engagement and enable the local governments to adopt participatory planning approaches for project execution.
- Ensure equitable and inclusive service delivery mechanisms through participatory efforts for all communities, vulnerable groups irrespective of their caste or religion. This will help in improving the accountability of local authorities to diverse stakeholders and local communities.
- Identify other cities having the required potentials and strengths which can be replicated in project cities.
- Develop a planning tool for outcome based planning and evaluation of developmental actions of local authorities
The Delegation of the European Union to India and Bhutan performs a variety of tasks aimed at enhancing the relations between the EU and India (and Bhutan) including cooperation on regional, global and security issues, close trade and economic ties, sectoral dialogues on smart and sustainable urbanisation, research and innovation as well as people-to-people contacts. Established in 1983, the EU Delegation to India is headquartered in New Delhi and relations with India have evolved significantly with the 2004 strategic partnership.
Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI)- ASCI was established in 1956 and is now a premier institute for research. Training, capacity building and information dissemination in urban development and management. Over the years, it has worked at national, state and local levels in urban governance, municipal finance and financial reforms, decentralization, inclusive service delivery and most importantly effective program management on urban issues in India.
Ajmer Municipal Corporation
Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
Jabalpur Municipal Corporation
Municipal Corporation Karnal
Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation