The PROMISE project is being implemented by ICLEI South Asia in association with Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI) with support from European Union in four project cities. It aims to improve the capacity of Urban Local Governments to perform as development actors for improving local quality of life in an inclusive manner in their respective cities. The project supports local authorities/governments to create, enable and institutionalize equitable and inclusive governance mechanisms, with an aim to support development of smart and sustainable growth in cities. The activities being undertaken in the project also help to enhance last mile connectivity and cater to the needs of all the citizens irrespective of their religion, age and income group hence promoting inclusive development. Through the project, efforts have been done to assist and build the capacities of the local government to better leverage the opportunities available under national programs such as Smart City Mission, AMRUT, HRIDAY, Housing for all and Swachh Bharat Mission through well-defined criteria for project evaluation and implementation. The opportunities from the above are leveraged through convergence, developing synergies in order to have better services and facilities resulting in improved quality of life. The project was initiated in early 2016 and is scheduled to close by early 2019.
officers & City Staff
PROMISE Tool- prioritization of infrastructure
Increased Capacity & Awareness of staff, elected representatives & local community
Leverage the existing opportunities under the National Missions
Increased transparency & accountability of local authorities to mobilize resources in a diverse, strategic and efficient manner
Sustainable Development through social, economic and environmental dimensions
Improved access to urban services for sections of society with a focus on females, EWS, children, senior citizens, people with special needs
Community driven projects identified from local needs & priorities
- Improve LA’s capacity to improve quality of life in an inclusive manner.
- Build managerial and technical capacity of local governments in the project cities and assist the project cities in identifying their strengths and weaknesses in the chosen sector.
- Promote citizen engagement and enable the local governments to adopt participatory planning approaches for project execution.
- Ensure equitable and inclusive service delivery mechanisms through participatory efforts for all communities, vulnerable groups irrespective of their caste or religion. This will help in improving the accountability of local authorities to diverse stakeholders and local communities.
- Identify other cities having the required potentials and strengths which can be replicated in project cities.
- Develop a planning tool for outcome based planning and evaluation of developmental actions of local authorities
Delegation of European Union to India and Bhutan
Delegation of European Union was established in 1983 and India became its strategic partner since 2004. The delegation of European Union India is headquartered in Delhi and performs variety of tasks aimed at enhancing the relations between EU and India.
Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI)- ASCI was established in 1956 and is now a premier institute for research. Training, capacity building and information dissemination in urban development and management. Over the years, it has worked at national, state and local levels in urban governance, municipal finance and financial reforms, decentralization, inclusive service delivery and most importantly effective program management on urban issues in India.
Ajmer Municipal Corporation
Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
Jabalpur Municipal Corporation
Karnal Municipal Corporation
Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation